OMBRES ET SENTIMENTS [METZ]
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

AccueilAccueil  PortailPortail  RechercherRechercher  Dernières imagesDernières images  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  ConnexionConnexion  
Le deal à ne pas rater :
TV LED 32” Continental Edison CELED32SAHD24B3
139.99 €
Voir le deal

OLDSKULL (Fra) The defeat of humanity Tape out now!

AuteurMessage
scumflesh

scumflesh

Masculin Nombre de messages : 456

OLDSKULL (Fra) The defeat of humanity Tape out now! Empty
MessageSujet: OLDSKULL (Fra) The defeat of humanity Tape out now!   OLDSKULL (Fra) The defeat of humanity Tape out now! EmptyVen 26 Mai 2023 - 23:05

OLDSKULL (Fra) The defeat of humanity Tape out now! Oldskull_logo

OLDSKULL (Fra) The defeat of humanity Tape out now! Oldskull_cover

Oldskull is a death metal band from the south of France that plays it the old way.
Their new Ep is very much in the spirit of the early 90's, with ancient atmospheres, heaviness, and accelerations... This sounds like a mix of the great early Death metal bands I enjoyed like hell during my teenager years in my morbid bedroom!

OLDSKULL (Fra) The defeat of humanity Tape out now! Oldskull_tape2

Listen: https://youtu.be/QcR5CNTZRZo

Six songs materialized on grey silver pro tape, limited to 150 copies.
Now released by NIHILISTIC HOLOCAUST and available against only 5,50 euros + postage!
https://nihilistic-webzine-distro.fr/Webshop/fr/24-news

Support French death metal and encourage the deep underground!

OLDSKULL (Fra) The defeat of humanity Tape out now! Oldskull_tape

ANALOG RESISTANCE \m/
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
http://morethansounds.toile-libre.org
scumflesh

scumflesh

MessageSujet: Re: OLDSKULL (Fra) The defeat of humanity Tape out now!   OLDSKULL (Fra) The defeat of humanity Tape out now! EmptyMer 31 Mai 2023 - 19:35

If you want to learn more about the band, you can read an interview here
(Translated in English and french):
https://nihilistic-webzine-distro.fr/Interviews/oldskull.htm

The band’s Ep is now for full streaming on youtube:

https://youtu.be/T3b9ZIC-mTE

If you listened, feel free to leave a comment

Labels/ Distros/ Bands: Trades are possible, send me an email here if interested:
gabsk(a)wanadoo.fr (Replace (a) by @)
scumflesh

scumflesh

MessageSujet: Re: OLDSKULL (Fra) The defeat of humanity Tape out now!   OLDSKULL (Fra) The defeat of humanity Tape out now! EmptyVen 23 Juin 2023 - 11:06

Reviews of the OLDSKULL Ep are appearing, we received 8 ones for now… Only good reviews for now!

VOICES FROM THE DARKSIDE webzine (Germany):
https://www.voicesfromthedarkside.de/review/oldskull-the-defeat-of-humanity/

CABALE Webzine/ Radio Grand R (France):
https://radiograndr.fr/news/oldskull-the-defeat-of-humanity-899

TWILIGHT MAGAZINE Webzine (Germany):
https://www.twilight-magazin.de/reviews/musik/item/oldskull-the-defeat-of-humanity-ep-demo-review.html

DEADLY STORM webzine (Czech republic):
www.deadlystormzine.com/2023/06/recenzereview-oldskull-defeat-of.html

MARGOTHPDF Webzine (France) :
https://margothpdf.wixsite.com/margothpdf/coin-des-chroniques-1/The-defeat-of-humanity

METAL REVOLUTION Webzine (Denmark):
https://www.metal-revolution.com/reviews/oldskull-the-defeat-of-humanity

METAL MANIA Webzine (Slovakia):
https://www.metalmania-magazin.eu/2023/06/12/oldskull-the-defeat-of-humanity-ep/

LOST IN THE OBLIVION Page
Francuski Oldskull  istnieje już bez mała 17 lat, ale na koncie ma zaledwie wydane w 2009 roku demo, oraz tę EP-kę, która na początku marca ukazała się na CD, a 26 maja nakładem NIHILISTIC HOLOCAUST Webzine/ Distro na kasecie. Album ten to niecałe pół godziny zagranego w klasycznym, staroszkolnym stylu death metalu oddające ducha tego co się działo w tym gatunku w latach 90. Miażdżące riffy, potężne wokale, nieco surowe, ale przestrzenne brzmienie, miło dla ucha grzechoczący bas. Żadnego łamania palców na gryfach czy osiągania nadświetlnych prędkości. W pewnym momencie głowa sama zaczyna się kiwać, a stopa wybijać rytm.
scumflesh

scumflesh

MessageSujet: Re: OLDSKULL (Fra) The defeat of humanity Tape out now!   OLDSKULL (Fra) The defeat of humanity Tape out now! EmptySam 2 Sep 2023 - 20:17

More reviews of the OLDSKULL tape were published!
Support french death metal!

VOICES FROM THE DARKSIDE webzine:
After 14 years since issuing out their only demo the French Death Metal quintet OLDSKULL has returned. The band consists of members of TRASHNASTY and NECROCULT and is having this latest 6 track EP released through Nihilistic Holocaust. I was not able to get a hold of their demo and therefore don’t have any background musically on the band, but regardless let’s dive in to see what the guys from Albi, France have brought to the table. Track 1 ‘Pandemic Prophecy’ starts with a barrage of thundering drums, racing guitars and a kickass guitar hook. The band then quickly changes gears to a mid-paced rhythm, but with a catchy melody. The vocals are guttural and engorging with venom. The devastation continues with the EP’s title track ‘The Defeat Of Humanity’. The formula is not much different here than on the previous track with a tempo that toggles between mid-paced and high-speed blasting. ‘In The Name Of Science’ slows things down a bit and has this really sick guitar solo about ¾ of the way into the song. It kind of gives me a early ’90s SINISTER vibe in the music. ‘Spare No One’ starts off with a killer bass guitar and drum combo that has a bit of “Heartwork” era CARCASS vibe mixed to it. The guitars and vocals jump in soon after and bring about a nice headbanging jam session, with again a SINISTER vibe once again towards the middle / end of the song. ‘Good Blood’ starts with a blitzkrieg of music and just crushes skulls. It’s a solid track with a sick guitar solo, but overall it felt like the song was cut short coming in at less than 2.5 minutes compared to the other songs on the EP. Last at bat is ‘Until The Last Breath’ and to me it was the track that caught most of my attention. Well structured and balanced with the right amount of guitar solos that didn’t drown out any of the song’s progress. This was a fun EP to jam out to and honestly with a solid 6 tracks with 5 out of the 6 songs clocking in around the 5-minute mark it’s close to being a full-length album. Good production, solid musicianship, kickass song writing / structures, brutal vocals and catchy riffs. You can’t go wrong with checking out this EP, well worth the listen. Let’s hope they don’t wait another 14 years to crank out new material.

THRASHOCORE Webzine:
Intituler sa première démo « Death and Metal », ce n’est peut-être pas la façon la plus originale pour débuter une carrière mais ce fut, en 2009, le choix des Toulousains (ou Albigeois) d’OLDSKULL. Les esprits chagrins diront que l’appellation n’est également pas des plus originales et que, puisque rien n’est sorti en quinze ans, se rebaptiser aurait pu être une option intéressante… Sauf que si ce n’est l’arrivée d’un second guitariste en 2019, les musiciens sont les mêmes depuis le début, j’imagine aisément qu’ils soient attachés à leur logo. De plus, inactivité discographique n’est pas ici synonyme d’inactivité scénique, la formation ayant eu l’occasion, ses dernières années, de côtoyer MERCYLESS, RITUALIZATION et même SKELETAL REMAINS. Cela laisse peu de doute quant au sérieux de « The Defeat of Humanity » un EP proposant six nouvelles compositions qui fleurent le bon death metal mastoc des années 90, avec une approche davantage américaine qu’européenne.
Je passerai rapidement sur la pochette que je trouve un peu trop brouillonne, même si on en comprend aisément l’idée générale, pour aller droit au but, d’autant que le disque a été réédité par le label Nihilistic Holocaust où l’on trouve souvent de jolies choses (non, ce n’est pas un hommage à Virginie Despentes). « Pandemic Prophecy » met immédiatement l’auditeur dans l’ambiance : il est accueilli par le son d’une explosion sourde et puissante à la suite duquel s’enchaîne un mid-tempo radical à la production épaisse. Le chanteur n’est pas en reste : sur cet éboulement rocheux, il descend bien dans les graves tout en restant compréhensible, abattant d’ailleurs un gros boulot tout au long du disque et rehaussant même de sa seule présence vocale les passages plus convenus. Nous pourrions appeler cela du charisme, oui.
On appréciera également cette basse bien ronflante, agressive, qui apporte toute l’épaisseur nécessaire aux morceaux. Comme quoi, même avec deux guitaristes très présents, quand on sait bien s’y prendre les quatre cordes s’avèrent utiles. De plus, OLDSKULL n’étant pas simplement là pour distribuer des coups de masse sur la tronche des amateurs qui se risqueraient à tendre une oreille, il s’évertue à proposer des chansons étoffées aux changements de rythmes fréquents, même s’il ne va jamais jusqu’au pur blast et que les classiques mélodies à deux guitares manquent parfois de lisibilité du fait d’un rendu sonore surtout conçu pour cartonner les foules. Mais comme cela n’est qu’un épiphénomène, cela n’entache en rien la qualité globale et l’on comprend ainsi mieux que ces mecs soient des partenaires de choix pour partager une affiche.
Bizarrement, j’ai du mal à identifier les influences principales, car il y en a certainement : j’ai évoqué MERCYLESS et c’est vrai que je pense parfois un peu à « Coloured Funeral » dans ses aspects les plus brutaux, aux débuts de GOJIRA quand il s’appelait encore GODZILLA (notamment la démo « Possessed » de 1998) et qu’il jouait du death metal sur certains passages de « Good Blood », peut-être aussi à des choses comme DISMEMBER sans le son suédois, voire BOLT THROWER pour les côtés « rouleau-compresseur », bref, que des trucs solides et qui ont fait leurs preuves depuis longtemps.
Par conséquent, ce retour en grâce d’OLDSKULL est plus qu’une bonne surprise compte tenu de la rigueur avec laquelle ce death est exécuté, il ne reste plus qu’à souhaiter qu’il ne se passe pas dix ans avant d’avoir un LP entre les mains, format qui devrait être la suite logique de la carrière des Toulousains, à moins qu’ils n’optent pour quelques splits bien underground qui, dans tous les cas, sauront certainement satisfaire les amateurs de brutalité. C’est clairement pour moi une super découverte, j’ai hâte de pouvoir savourer la suite.  Sosthène

GUTS OF DARKNESS Webzine:
Il y a sûrement un gouffre avec accès direct à l'enfer du death metal à l'ancienne dans le Sud-Ouest. Par exemple, dans le Tarn, Oldskull semble bel et bien possédé par la manie du headbanging faisant révérence et référence à tout ce que nous avons chroniqué dans le genre obsédé par le kült macabre des Grands Anciens cultivant accordages trop graves, ambiances rampantes, paroles maniaques et breaks instillant le besoin de secouer son corps comme un primate frustré par trop d'années à se coltiner de la pop et de la chanson merdique à la radio depuis son arrivée sur cet astre qui pue du fion, comme dirait mon pote alien de la transdimension X431 l'autre soir, il avait pris la forme d'une éponge, et vu que j'ai un lave-vaisselle maintenant, il trouvait tout de suite l'oxygène, la chlorophylle, homo sapiens et les oiseaux dans le ciel beaucoup moins intéressants... mais je m'égare. Il s'égare ! Oui, si vous voulez du death avec d'hénaurmes clins d'oeil aux standards du genre, qu'ils soient anglais, américains ou scandinaves, eh bien faites-vous plaisir, la vie est courte. Enfin, c'est ce que me disait mon éponge hier soir, du haut de ses soixante six incommensurables éons... 4/6 Rastignac

CANADIAN ASSAULT Webzine:
I have been a admirer of this labels works over the years, more often than not Nihilistic Holocaust finds bands that play death metal in the old ways. Those bands tend to be lesser known bands that are hidden gems and the label shines a new light on their works. That is not the case with this release, as Oldskull is a new-ish (especially with regards to overall releases) band, and this EP is new music being released upon the scene. The one constant that this bands fits with is they appreciate the old metal history and it reflects their influences, shaping them in their own way and creating new music for us to peruse. I am not sure I would call Oldskull a deathrash band, as their overall sound and style is surely death metal, nevertheless I find some of their style and song construction reminds me of middle to late ‘80s thrash. It is sort of like when some thrash bands in the late ‘80s and early ‘90s started to transform their style and sound to death metal. There is a strong emphasis on often mid-tempo heavy riffing, and memorable songwriting that exudes a feeling of dramatic yet ripping death metal goodness. By that I mean the key is the song structuring that brings out emotion, conveys action and brutality inside a package you will remember after you have finished headbanging and hit stop on your player. The vocals of Seb I quite enjoy on this release, his growls are powerful, measured and very clearly enunciated with that classic dm vocal style and feel. It seems to me this music is designed to not only grab the listener, and hold them, but also created to be a killer experience in a live setting. Some French UG diehards that have watched this band live can attest to whether or not I am correct (I am confident that I am) in this assumption. This may be an EP, but it is a meaty one that weighs in with six songs and just under 30 minutes, so you will get real value with this purchase. I now hope the wait for the next Oldskull release will be much shorter than in the past.   - Dale

HEAVYMETAL.NO Webzine:
Franske Oldskull startet opp for en god del år siden, men aktiviteten har vært svært lav.
Ikke overraskende er det old school-metal som er på agendaen, og bandet kan trygt plasseres innen death metalen. Eimen av tidlig 90-tall er åpenbar og tilsiktet. Franskmennene har lyktes svært godt med lyden. Den rå atmosfæren er den minner om det man finner på f.eks. Left Hand Path eller Mental Funeral, og dette låter simpelthen suverent bra!
Når låtmaterialet heller ikke er til å kimse av, framstår Oldskull som et band vel verdt å sjekke ut for fans av gammel death metal. Låtene er stort sett rundt 5 minutter lange og bygges opp rundt noen få partier som er relativt ulike slik at variasjonen er god. Så er man sterke på overganger, blant annet vist et halvminutt uti In The Name Of Science, og dermed flyter alt godt og man får en del veldig kule partier som får nakkemusklene i gang. Enkelte krydderier får man også, i form av melodiøse gitarsnutter. Legg til en grom vokal som er dyp, men ikke helt nede i kjelleren og i tillegg et pent knippe kule riff, og du har en meget solid death metal-skive der høydepunktet kommer i form av nevnte In The Name Of Science. 7,5/10
scumflesh

scumflesh

MessageSujet: Re: OLDSKULL (Fra) The defeat of humanity Tape out now!   OLDSKULL (Fra) The defeat of humanity Tape out now! EmptySam 9 Mar 2024 - 8:55

Some news of OLDSKULL:

The band was interviewed in the last issue of DEADLLY ILLNESS zine as well as in DEADLY STORM webzine.

Some new reviews of the tape were published, here it is.

Support old school underground metal!

KRACHMANIFEST Zine (Ger)
Fancy some good old school death metal? Then I've got something very nice for you, this time the school trip is going to France, or more precisely to Toulouse. Here we go.
Oldskull - The Defeat Of Humanity (MC) Nihilistic Holocaust Prod.
Just before the review deadline, a real death metal hammer comes around the corner at the very last minute of the new year. I had never heard of the southern French band Oldskull before, which is not surprising. Although the guys have been around since 2005, they only released their debut in 2023 after a demo in 2009. I think that's pretty lame and lazy, don't you? But honestly, that's quickly forgotten when you're served such a powerful crusher. I don't know how to explain it either, because Old Skull aren't reinventing the wheel either, but Oldskull's old-school sound grabbed me in no time and had me hooked. Especially the combination of marvellous old DM school, which for a change doesn't wallow in blast beats, but instead shakes some damn fit riffs out of its sleeve and what a miracle, there's no rumbling sound here, instead the band remains deeply relaxed, They give their songs enough time to unfold, and just when you think you've got the frogs' legs in your pocket, they come back at regular intervals with one awesome solo after the other, leaving you wanting more and more. And the drummer also has the right knack of picking up the pace whenever it's needed. In other words, the songs are not predictable, which makes the tape really more than exciting, because variety is the key to everything, just listen to the title track or the opening track "Pandemic Prophecy", simply awesome! Anyone who can write songs like this and play them so casually is, in my opinion, one of the great talents that the scene needs to continue to exist. The vocals are also exactly to my mangy taste, on the one hand typically raw DM, but with a few really crazy twists that really make a difference. There are also a few rancid, pissed-off excursions in the direction of "thrash from the street", especially on the guitar, which is really good. Oldskull do a hell of a lot right on their debut, an album that would have received a lot of attention in 1992/93, simply because the whole thing sounds very authentic. The rest of the songs also have so much class that I basically have to kiss Gabriel from Nihilistic Holocaust's feet, because it was only through him that I became aware of Oldskull. This is the kind of death metal that really gets me, forget all that Bullerbü Brutal DM snot, because compared to this mature monster, it's pure childish nonsense. If you like real death metal with balls, you should buy Oldskull's album today at the latest after this review. - Rayk

DISPOSABLE UNDERGROUND Webzine:
France has another band export in the form of Oldskull. The band’s cassette The Defeat of Humanity is a hard-hitting, old-school death metal feast of killer riffs.
The songs are dynamic and good for headbanging. The first track, “Pandemic Prophecy,” fades out in a cool way, and not to be outdone, the title track comes out swinging next with a layered, memorable riff. “Spare No One” should start a pit in any living room or venue. And on it goes, with satisfying directions and hardly a dull moment throughout the well-executed six songs.
I recommend picking up this EP (they call it an EP, but it’s long enough to be a full-length) on tape or digitally from Nihilistic Holocaust at Bandcamp. It’s out now, and move quickly if you like the physical format—it’s limited to 150.

CROSSFIRE METAL Webzine
Sonderlich einfallsreich ist der Bandname Oldskull ja nicht gerade. Gleich neun Bands werden bei Metal Archives bei der Suche angezeigt: viermal zusammen geschrieben (Oldskull) und fünfmal auseinander (Old Skul). Dafür weiß man immer sofort, worum es geht. Die Franzosen, die hier gemeint sind, spielen nämlich Old School Death Metal. Seit 2005 sind sie nun schon aktiv. Dennoch folgt dem einzigen Demo aus dem Jahr 2009 nun eine erste EP. Ein vollständiges Album gibt es noch nicht. „The Defeat Of Humanity" erschien in Eigenregie auf CD. Nun gibt es über Nihilistic Holocaust aus Südamerika noch eine kultige Tape Version. Sechs Songs sind hier enthalten. Im Opener geht es eher schleppend voran, dennoch mit Doublebass und auch dezenten Melodien, was mich vor allem an Bolt Thrower denken lässt.
Im weiteren Verlauf wird es aber auch mal treibender, auch wenn es nie im sinnlosen Geblaste und Chaos ausartet. Man fühlt sich beim Hören sofort an die glorreichen Neunziger erinnert. Die Songs sind simpel und effektiv. Das Zusammenspiel ist gut, wenn auch nicht übertrieben filigran. Man tut halt nicht mehr als nötig, und das ist auch gut so. Schön ruppig, roh und ungeschliffen und mit wütendem Growlgesang, fühle ich mich auch an Ami-Bands wie Baphomet (pre-Banished), Malevolent Creation, Deicide oder Monstrosity, aber auch an die Polen Vader erinnert. Das hier groovt und pumpt ohne Ende. Dabei klingt die Musik völlig zeitlos. Eine schöne Zeitreise zurück in meine Jugend, wo ich den Death Metal für mich entdeckte, nur eben mit einer Band aus der heutigen Zeit.
Sehr cool!

LA LEGION UNDERGROUND Webzine
Après une démo sortie en 2009, le groupe de death metal toulousain Oldskull nous revient avec un premier EP, en autoproduction, dont la version cassette est disponible via notre ami du ch’nord Nihilistic Holocaust. Avec un line-up identique depuis sa création, avec uniquement l’ajout d’un second guitariste, le groupe nous montre son envie de rester unis et montrer ce qu’ils savent faire.
Et c’est un bon gros death qui nous accueille, déjà avec la pochette bien old school (non pas de jeu de mot avec leur nom). Mais du gros death qui sait tout autant tacher que faire dans le technique. Et ça, c’est du bon ! Car oui faire du death n’importe qui pourrait t’en faire en s’inspirant de ce qui a été fait, mais alterner les différentes variations de death, ça c’est une belle maitrise que possède Oldskull et qui ravira les fans du genre.
Le chant est bien caverneux, les grattes sont affutées, la basse ronronne, la batterie alterne les rythmiques…. Je prends mon pied à l’écoute de cette prod, et particulièrement sur les morceaux « Spare no one » et « Good blood », avec leurs envolées de guitares, placées en fin des compos, qui te dressent les poils.
Pas de fioritures, le groupe te balance ses six petites perles qui ont chacune leur identité vocale et rythmique, te laissant pas le temps de reposer ta nuque ni de te demander quand ça finit car, oh non, on ne pourra pas leur reprocher de nous faire un truc chiant. Ils ont compris aussi comment captiver l’auditeur d’un bout à l’autre !
Merci mister Gaby de m’avoir fait découvrir cette pépite, car oui c’en est une. La scène underground française a un bel avenir devant elle et Oldskull nous le prouve avec cet EP. Un groupe à suivre pour les fans de death ! Un grand bravo les gars !
Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: OLDSKULL (Fra) The defeat of humanity Tape out now!   OLDSKULL (Fra) The defeat of humanity Tape out now! Empty

Page 1 sur 1